Saturday, April 10, 2010

Today Was NOT A Good Day

As with any illness, you have your good days, your mediocre days, and then you have your bad days. I would label today as a bad one. Sadly, I woke up this morning with a splitting headache, so I took some medication and went back to bed. When I woke up again, I still had the headache, so I took some more medication, a kind of cocktail that the doctors are experimenting with, in the hopes that the pain would go away. I slept most of the day and when I woke up again, I still had the headache. I had a little trail mix (the nuts have protein in them) and a little Ensure (YUCK) and then went back to sleep. Once Mom got home from grocery shopping, we planned on watching Julie and Julia, but before we really got started, the trail mix came back for an unwanted visit L. After sufficiently ridding my stomach of any nutrition I might have taken in during the day, we watched the movie (which is really cute).

What little energy I thought I might have stored up with the sleeping and trail mix has been totally annihilated and I have been reduced to that person I was a couple of days ago that wouldn’t have been able to kill a half-dead fly. It’s a bit frustrating, taking, what you think, is a few steps forward and then falling ten steps back, but I guess that is the process of healing. I can’t say that my throat will survive too many more trips to that beloved, re-vamped toilet of ours, but it’s better than getting it all over our beautiful new carpet, so se la vie!

I haven’t been able to do the new exercises that my physical therapist has given me to do, so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I can give them a go. Luckily, my therapist understands that I am still quite sick, so if I only manage to get to them a few times, I’m sure that she will understand. I have had the greatest of intentions on doing them, I swear, but that was just NOT going to happen today, given my current state. I hope that I will be able to make it to church tomorrow, but if I am not there, at least now, for those of you from church who might happen to read this, will know why.

Luckily, there is an upside to my day—which is hard to believe when there is barf involved—but in one of my waking moments I happened upon a commercial for a drink called Pure Protein, so I called my mom speedy quick (that’s a Junie B. Jones-ism for any elementary school teachers out there) and she was able to find it for me. I finished off what was left of my one Ensure (which is only the 2nd one that I’ve finished in the 3 or 4 days I’ve had them) and cracked open the Pure Protein and, in comparison with the Ensure, it was heaven! I don’t want to liken it to a chocolate shake or malt, that would be slightly insulting, but it’s DEFINITELY much better tasting than the Ensure.

I just really want to get back to normal life like you don’t even know! I miss my friends terribly and wish that they would come out and visit me, but most of them have families and busy schedules, so I understand that driving to the boonies is hard. I want to take pictures for my friend Tanya very badly too and she has been so patient and wants me to get better first, but, at this point, I just don’t know when that will be. I seem to paint my nails better in the current state I’m in, so maybe my picture taking ability will be better while I’m sick too! Who knows!

I love everyone so much and thank you beyond measure for the kindness that you have shown me during this difficult time. Writing this blog has been therapeutic and an artistic outlet for me, so I hope that you are enjoying them as much as I am enjoying writing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment